Maybe it's just me, but whenever I see or read about an Elkhound, it's always a picture or a story about an Elkie doing something completely goofy. When I first got Dakota, I didn't know much about the breed (we adopted her from the Michigan Humane Society), but the more I read about others, the more "ah-ha... no kidding" moments I experience. I'm just curious... does anyone else's Elkie:
2. Sneak around, either because she has stolen something she's not supposed to have, or is somewhere she knows is off-limits?
3. Twirl around in circles if excited/anxious?
4. Throw things (a ball, stuffed animals) behind her back and up in the air?
5. Hide during thunderstorms? Dakota is more afraid of them than any other dog I've ever known. She also hates rain, period. I have to practically trick her into going outside to potty when it's even drizzling. It's really sad, actually, because during thunderstorms, she'll hide (usually in the bathroom) and turn her head to one side, often looking down at the floor or at a wall. It's so heartbreaking - it's like there's nothing I can do to comfort her. :(
6. Talk back? Sort of yip-yapping, different than her usual bark... and I SWEAR she is grinning.
7. Act completely stubborn?
8. Make a SUPER funny face before she sneezes? Dakota scrunches up one side of her face (crinkles her eye and lifts her upper lip on that side way up and back). It is HILARIOUS. I really wish I could get it on camera!
9. Sleep with her tail uncurled (sometimes with her legs sticking straight out)?
10. Sort of "drum" her front paws on the ground when she's excited? This is also hilarious. It really looks like she's playing the drums - she picks up her paws alternately and slaps them onto the ground rapidly.
I swear, I could sit and watch her all day and just smile and laugh and think about what a great dog I've got! Elkhounds seem like such a wonderfully unique breed, I was just wondering if anyone else has seen any of the above things with their Elkie... if you have, or if your Elkie does other silly things... I would love to know!
Dakota is pouting here... she HATES the camera, especially the flash. I forgot to add this little quirk to the above list.
Smelling the flowers.